2014 was a ridiculously good year for animated series. I’ve compiled a list of five of my favorite such shows of the year and placed them in a not-exactly ranked order1Or, more precisely, a not-exactly-unranked order2If you must know, I would say that the bottom four choices could be put in basically any order, but my top choice is pretty solidly the pinnacle.. It’s a startlingly diverse list, the scope of which I think shows the artistic breadth and depth currently at work in the medium.
For more proof of this, you need only look at the many worthy, innovative, and highly recommended shows that didn’t quite make my list:
- Steven Universe, which continues to have incredible art and music, and is just beginning to realize the potential of its premise,
- a strong partial second season of my favorite animated show of 2012–13, Gravity Falls (including a possible series-best episode),
- the utterly charming and delightful Bee and Puppycat
- the incredible spastic nonsense of Bravest Warriors, which actually toyed with something more resembling a plot this season,
- a wildly variable but still typically hilarious season of Archer,
- a set of Adventure Time episodes that might not all match up to the series’ best, but made for some some incredible highlights,
- the whimsical and beautifully designed Wander Over Yonder,
- the surprisingly good and still improving Star Wars Rebels,
- the vast number of shows I haven’t watched yet, like Clarence and Regular Show, maybe even Ping Pong the Animation, I just don’t know yet.
Feel free to give me more suggestions for the latter category or tell me how wrong I was about everything in the comments.
Tomorrow: the coronation of the first entry on my list.
[ + ]
|1.||Or, more precisely, a not-exactly-unranked order|
|2.||If you must know, I would say that the bottom four choices could be put in basically any order, but my top choice is pretty solidly the pinnacle.|